5.4.10

Inconsistent car

This is a little write up of some troubleshooting i have been doing today.
I have been battling an unconsistent car for a couple of days now.

It worked flawlessly a long time, until it suddenly started to snap into terrible oversteer on corner entry, and even some terrible traction rolling from time to time. Not on every lap, but more and more often. So I had to change my setup towards understeer.

The reason i suspected was the track temperature had fallen quite a few degrees lately.
Today i had plans to find out if this was correct, or if something had changed on my car.

I tested for about 100 laps before I started to look at it. It was snappy as ever.

I checked every part of the car for wear, tweak and even measured the front spring rates to see if they had changed dramatically.
No faults were found.

I stared at the car for a few minutes and could not understand what the problem was.

I readjusted everything. Made the setup exactly as it was before the problem started, and tested it on track. Horrible!

I then disassembled the front end to control everything once more. Then i noticed that the king pins were a bit sloppy regarding up/ down movement in the ball cup in the lower mounting plate.
I had installed the ATM lower arm set for a few weeks ago, but this was not a problem then.
I replaced it with the stock lower cover, and BAM! The car was dialed again.

It seems that the ATM lower cover does wear out quite fast. In my case only after about 15 - 20 hours of use before it started to give me problems!
The stock cover has at least 100 hours of runtime on it without any noticeable wear.

It could be that my set was a bit loose to begin with, but I dont know. I love the ATM lower cover, but I actually think I will use the stock for a while now:-)

My favorite setup 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Onboard kamera med Rune

Treningskveld

Formula 1 news

MOTOGP news

WRC news

Search This Blog