13.5.10

Review. Atomic oil filled shock


The first spy pics of this shock was seen for over one year ago, and now Atomic finally has released them.

The packaging is really nice. The shock, oil, and the rest of the parts has their own compartment in the packaging.

They also have provided a user manual and parts list.

First look inside the package revealed that the oil bottle had leaked out all of the content. The foam packaging and the user manual were completely soaked.

The kit comes with two springs. One black and one silver. No description on witch of them were hard or soft. I measured them on my spring measuring device, and found that the Black Spring were the softest one, altough they differ very little.
They are much stiffer than for example the springs for the Kyosho oil filled shock. This worried me a bit. More on that later.

It comes with two different chassis mounts. A nice feature. I ended up using a PN shock mount on my setup.

Since the oil bottle were empty on arrival, I had to use another oil. I decided to fill it up with my favourite for the kyosho oil shock. This is Kyosho 500WT silicone oil.

Disassembling it is very easy, and filling it with oil also. I waited a good hour to get all the air out of the oil. Mounted the cap back on, and wow. This feels good!

Installing the damper on a conventional disc damper equipped car is straight forward. However I mounted it on a PN Tri damper setup, so I had to come up with some solutions to make it fit good.

It is very long compared to the Kyosho shock. When mounted on a PN TDS fitted car this makes the space left for the transponder very little.

When i finally got around mounting it, the feel of it is extremely smooth. The dampening it provide is superb. I really like this one.
The spring hardness worried me a bit, since they are very hard compared to the Kyosho oil shock springs. But to my surprise, this was not a problem at all. The springs are quite progressive, and the small shock travel these cars actually use, the hardness were near perfect for me with 0 preload.


The first track test proved its a real good shock. Both the adjustability it gives, and the dampening it provides is superb.

It is a bit heavier than the old Kyosho oil shock, but since it adds a lot of adjustablity it can be worth the extra 1,4 gram.
It weighs in at 2,8 grams filled up.
The kyosho schok weighs 1,4 grams filled up.

This gets my recomendation. A really good product.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Onboard kamera med Rune

Treningskveld

Formula 1 news

MOTOGP news

WRC news

Search This Blog